Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs and Reactances in parallel

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs and Reactances in parallel
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:09:58 -0700

On 6/24/2020 5:41 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Steve,

Wes's question and your reply yields the key. You're switching the resonance of the antenna, but not the stub. Take a look at the plots in http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf ; which I did by point-by-point measurements before I had a VNA. The stub is only a very high impedance at resonance, and the Q is too high to cover as much of the band as you're attempting to cover. Note from my app note that the location of

You can get a substantial improvement in bandwidth by replacing the
stubs with lumped element equivalent tank circuits.  Try it on Simsmith
and see.

73
Rick N6RK