Re: [TowerTalk] Need help getting started with antenna modeling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need help getting started with antenna modeling
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 22:22:00 -0400
I am not familiar with that Linux software but if the SWR is off on a dipole
I would check the wire length and be sure that the source is in the center
of this wire. Usually antenna software comes with a few examples that you
can follow. You may also want to try posting on the antennaware list"

GL,
John KK9A

Kevin Zembower KC3KZ wrote:

Hello, all,

I'm just beginning to learn how to do antenna modeling. I'm a Linux user
and using xnec2c version 3.6.1-beta. My first attempt was to model a 40m
dipole in free space. The visualizations don't show anything like the
double-torus images I've seen in books. Other calculations, such as
VSWR from 7.0-7.3MHz also seem wildly off.

I've been searching around trying to find a good email list to post my
beginner questions, but have been unsuccessful. I can't find an email
list for xnec2c, I'm guessing because its user base is much smaller than
EZNEC or others. I'm not sure that my problems come from, a)
unfamiliarity with the xnec2c interface and program, or b) not
understanding NEC2 cards and procedures, or c) lack of knowledge about
the topic of antenna modeling itself. I thought I found one email list
on NEC2, at http://www.gweep.ca/mailman/listinfo.cgi/nec-list from the
page nec2.org, but it seems to be defunct.

Can anyone suggest a forum to post my beginning problems and questions?
Is TowerTalk an appropriate place, or would it be too off-topic? Are
there any other NEC or antenna-modeling email lists or forums?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. I appreciate your help.

-Kevin
KC3KZ