[TowerTalk] another common mode choke question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] another common mode choke question
From: charlie carroll <k1xx@k1xx.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:50:27 -0400
So following up to last week's thread, a couple questions that will surely get some traffic...

Do we really need common mode chokes on our transmitting antenna? The station is located on an island in the Caribbean and the nearest AC power is about 2 miles away at an industrial site generating their own power.  Commercial AC is probably another 2 miles beyond that.  We generate our own power with a couple commercial generators.

From a noise/interferer perspective, our biggest problem was the on-island broadcast station that created horrendous fundamental overload problems for our 160/80 receiving circle arrays.  About 2 megawatts ERP from that station was causing some real havoc until we added a filter before each vertical's preamp and plenty of choking on the feed lines.  I'm not aware of any other noise issues affecting the station on any band.

With that said, assume that we decide to incorporate CM chokes on the low-band transmitting antennas and the higher frequency yagis that do double duty.  Do we have chokes only at the antenna's feed point and/or have others scattered along the coax feed line, including right at the back of the amplifiers?

Thoughts, and any real data would be nice too!

73 charlie, k1xx