Re: [TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 22:21:22 -0700
I have an Orion that has never slipped (80m 86ft dipole + DB36) but it seems a common problem. Certainly has a heavy enough casting, I have one Orion goofed casting as a door stop. The 4 cast clamping webs are 3/8" thick and 3/4 to 7/8" wide radially. The stock depth of the shallow V clamping is 3/4" deep. Laying a 2" and 3" diameter circle template on the cast V leaves most of the web intact. So the stock design works with any diameter mast 2"- to nearly 4".

So if a smooth contact at mast radius works better than the cast teeth steps, machining to size will leave plenty of material. I'd estimate 120 deg of contact per half for 3" and 90 deg for 2".

I would do the boring on a lathe. Bolt the halves to a faceplate and clamp some aluminum spacers thickness TBD between them with the stock bolts. Then bore with 1-1/2" diameter (what fun to put those to work!) carbide insert boring bar. The needed boring depth is 5-5/8". Since the opposing halves can be bored to smooth metal, accurately measuring the cut diameter is easy. Quick to machine once the fixturing is designed and built.

I think doing this on a mill with a 6" long 3/4" bar in a boring head would be very ugly as you mention.

A file test showed modest surface hardness so the carbide insert should not have difficulty.

Send me a request off list if you want a photo of the casting Orion forget to drill the holes in for the mounting bolts to the rotator plate.

Grant KZ1W