Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: RE: NEC 5 upgrade

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: RE: NEC 5 upgrade
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 16:46:21 -0700
On 8/10/20 3:27 PM, Dan Maguire wrote:
Jim Lux wrote:
The real question is "how hard is going to be to compile for the various target
machines I run it on".

The NEC-5 release does not include source code, at least not yet.  Not
sure if that might change in the future.

That is a significant problem - the "paying customers" for NEC tend to run it on all sorts of hardware (I'm running it on 3 different clusters, each with different software configurations - thank you, very much, Intel; as well as a Win 10 PC and a Mac)

The download package (zip file) includes Windows executable files.
The zip also has a separate "MACOSX" folder.  All of the files in that
folder are precisely 1 KB in size.  I have absolutely no idea what's
going on with that.

In addition to the engine executables there is also a new "Graphical
Interface" program.  It can be used to a) help build the input file
and b) display various plots using data from the output file.  The new
GUI is named "NEC5GI" and it is an extension of "NECPlotG" which was
included with the NEC-4.2 release.

For some screen grabs from the older "NECPlotG" program see

https://ac6la.com/xlgta.html#Part7  (scroll down)

and

https://ac6la.com/aecollection8.html#84

Dan, AC6LA