[TowerTalk] Can I solder parallel conductor transmission line at the spo

To: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Can I solder parallel conductor transmission line at the spot where antenna wire is soldered to a balun’s connections and then simply disconnect the coax from the balun and use the parallel conductor to feed the antenna?
From: "wi6x.73@gmail.com" <wi6x.73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:41:00 -0700
Can I solder parallel conductor transmission line at the spot where antenna
wire is soldered to a balun’s connections and then simply disconnect the coax
from the balun and use the parallel conductor to feed the antenna?

I have a 80-meter loop fed using a MFJ-918 balun to a quarter-wave section of
75-ohm coax and a run of 50-ohm coax, and I want to swap out the coax for
parallel conductor transmission line.

The antenna wire is currently soldered to the pigtails of a MFJ-918 balun.

The parallel conductor needs to make a precarious run from the top of the trees
the feed point is in, past a parallel exterior wall, and past a few trees to
get to the shack. I’m not sure if the wall and trees will compromise the
performance of the parallel transmission line to make it worthwhile to swap the
coax out for it.

If I can leave the balun’s pigtails soldered to the antenna wire, disconnect
the coax from the balun, and solder the parallel conductor line to the spot
where the balun’s pigtail wires are soldered to the antenna wire I’d like to
see if I can get past the wall and trees that are in the way.

I’ll disconnect the balun if I can get the parallel transmission line past the
obstacles and to function better than the coax.

I’d like to avoid unsoldering or cutting the balun away from the existing
connection to the antenna wire because it’s a lot of work in a precarious
location.

Can I solder the parallel conductor transmission line at the spot where the
antenna wire is soldered to a balun’s connections and then simply disconnect
the coax from the balun and use the parallel conductor?

Thank you,

73,
Jim WI6X