Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:31:57 -0700
On 8/19/2020 11:29 AM, Randy Farmer wrote:
I really want to go with a tower that allows me to maintain the antennas and rotator from ground level.

That's one approach, but I've been well served by skilled ham climbers who climb safely and know far more than I do rigging and wiring antennas, and I'd bet that what I've paid them over the years is a lot less that the fold-over project that you're envisioning that involves building a road!

For the last few years, Hector Garcia, XE2K/AD6D has been doing my work, and I just hired a local, K3RRY, to rig a cell phone repeater. Hector is based in Yuma, AZ, and travels extensively. The massive W7RN station is one of his clients. As part of NCCC ground crews, I've watched expert work by K7LXC and K7NV. Posting here will surely yield more recommendations.

BTW -- I also hire tree climbers to rig and maintain the high wires in my trees. NI6T gave me good advice by repeating his mistake of topping a redwood, clamping a section of Rohn 25 to it, and mounting HF Yagis to the the tower section. The problem, he noted, was that while the tree was free, the guys he could hire to climb it had no clue about what to do when the got up there, as to good tower climbers who nearly always do,

73, Jim K9YC