[TowerTalk] Tower in NC Woods

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower in NC Woods
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
I think it's too much trouble.  I know the feeling of wanting something neat,
but...
Just how badly do you want those few extra, short, QSOs?
Cut trees, build road, haul equipment, lay lines, hurt your back,  hope nothing
breaks, do maintenance, pay help?
I say put up the best thing you can on the tower you have and enjoy it.
The sunspots are coming back and condx will be better for several years.
It sounds like you  like the spot, so you don't want to move again?
And you  like the wife enough to give in on the yard, so there's probably not
going to be a change there either?
Seriously, there's so much to read. so much amazing video on Youtube, and so
much wine to drink that a big tower has little appeal for me.
Imagine how much you could learn by building some neat solid state equipment!
I have room and wife doesn't care, but a 40' tower (bracketed to my chimney),
and tribander, plus wires, of course, does me fine.
Then there's remote radio.  You can operate a superstation and pretend it's
yours, but you don't have to fix it!
If you have tall trees you can likely do 160 better with them than with a tower.
My T top vertical (using trees) with raised radials is killer and really needs
Beverages to get full performance.  People hear me that I can't hear.
73,
Wilson
W4BOH