[TowerTalk] Radial project progress

To: kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial project progress
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 17:15:45 -0400
I spent the afternoon replacing crimp terminals and cleaning the connection
point on the ground plate.  I finished three radials completely.  There are
three more that must be replaced.  One of the remaining two will probably
be reworked.

Before the work the antenna was showing a 1.6:1 SWR at the bottom,
decreasing to 1.4:1 at the top of the band.  Now it shows 1.4:1 at the band
edges and 1.3:1 at the center.  This is coming back into line with the way
I remember it just after I put it up.

The SWR really tells nothing about the antenna except the match.  I will
finish the rest of the rework and then take the current measurements to see
how it turned out.

The work is easier than I expected.  I let the radials to be worked down
all at once at the center, do the rework, then hoist them all back up and
install.  It is much easier to solder and crimp sitting in a lawn chair at
a table than it is up the tower.

I may listen around on the band tonight, but I really don't think it will
sound any differently than  it has for 30 years :-)

73 all,

Dave, K4TO