Re: [TowerTalk] big curtain arrays

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] big curtain arrays
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 09:38:07 -0700
On 8/31/20 8:46 AM, Dave Thompson wrote:
Gang.

I don't recall the W7YRV system but I do recall the Sterba curtain at W2KW at
radio hill.  Was always s9+++++. Colvin was a big array before he went on hos
dxpeditions and his array was written up in CQ in about 1957 when I was first
licensed.

During support for Hurricane Camille I operated the RACES station W5IZS in
Jackson, MS set up at the navy reserve and the antenna was a sterba. A ham in
Portland, OR reported I was 20 over there on 75. The Sterba did work if you had
the room.

Big curtain arrays are standard things in the SW broadcast business. It's not unusual to see a 24 dBi gain - That's *way* more than you're ever going to see from any HF antenna on top of a tower.

Essentially they are giant arrays of 2 element yagis.

They tend to be single band (although nothing stops you from putting multiple dipoles in front of the reflectors.

The TCI log periodics in their "simpler" forms are 16 dBi
https://test-tci-international.pantheonsite.io/product/tci-model-524-super-high-gain-log-periodic-antenna/

If you need steering, put up multiples:
https://www.tcibr.com/product/tci-model-548-log-periodic-antenna/

Or something like this, with appropriate phasing networks

https://www.tcibr.com/product/tci-model-540-omni-gain-antenna/