Re: [TowerTalk] Testing C-3 near ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Testing C-3 near ground
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 09:11:26 -0700
On 9/1/20 7:57 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
I'm refurbishing an old F12 C-3 that is currently disassembled, and looks like
it has been for at least a decade.  The tower it is going on isn't here yet and
won't be for a few weeks.

I'd like to assemble and do some testing before I put it up sufficient to make
sure I don't have any bad joints or assembly mistakes. Having both an analyzer
and a VNA, what, if anything, can I do while it is in the proximity of the
ground?  I'll be doing the assembly work on sawhorses, but I could mount it on
a 10' mast supported by a ladder after it is together for testing. I don't
expect to make meaningful VSWR or bandwidth measurements, but since the 15 and
10 meter elements are fed parasitically, it would be comforting to know that
there aren't any major issues before I put it up for real.

You can point it straight up, ideally with the back element well off the ground.