[TowerTalk] Engineering closer-in guys

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Engineering closer-in guys
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 18:52:37 -0700
TL; DR: fire got my tower, can’t replace at same height with stock guy
anchor distance.

I had a Rohn 55 tower that was built in 1971 as 150’ high with 4 levels of
guys and anchors 120’ from the base. Some ten years later they put two more
sections on, making it 170’, and added a 5th guy level (and borrowed the
4th level’s spot on the guy anchor plate for it)

A couple weeks ago the anchors got melted in the CZU Lightning complex
fires (the camera on top caught the fire:
http://www.alertwildfire.org/southeastbay/index.html?camera=Axis-BonnyDoon&v=81e002f
before the camera and microwave cables melted)

I want to replace the tower with 170’ (or 180’) of Rohn 65... but due to
property lines, I can’t get more than a couple more feet out past 120’ from
the base(the default for a 150’) Has anyone on the list gone through the
engineering for guys that are closer to the base than the stock design
calls for?

Due to trees, the first 90-100’ of the tower is virtually unusable, so
every foot counts.

Matthew Kaufman