Re: [TowerTalk] How to Clip on with a Fall Arrest Lanyard

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to Clip on with a Fall Arrest Lanyard
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 22:59:14 -0500
I normally use double fall arrest lanyards from the dorsal ring, one of which is always attached to the tower. However, if I'm going to be making multiple trips, I'll install the lifeline. Installing it, of course, requires one trip with the double lanyards. The lifeline attaches to something solid near the top of the tower, like a shackle through a corner of the top plate. I tie down the bottom end just to keep some tension on it so the rope grab doesn't pull it up when I climb. I attach the front D ring of my harness to the rope grab with a short fall arrest lanyard. Once the lifeline is in place, I can dispense with the fall arrest lanyards, until it's time to take it down. The rope grab will follow me up the tower, but I usually push it ahead to reduce the fall distance. I have to manually lower it every step or two, but that's still easier and faster than the gorilla hooks on the double lanyards. The rope grab is also a lot lighter than the lanyards and gorilla hooks.

If I'm just making one or two trips up the tower for a small job, of course, it's not worth the trouble of putting up the lifeline. It's polypropylene, so it can't be left up permanently. Even though polypropylene isn't all that strong, it is so big that it's rated for 6,000 pounds.

If I'm going to be working above the end of the lifeline, like standing on the top plate, I have to use the double fall arrest lanyards.

By "fall arrest lanyard", I mean one designed to break a fall sort of gently, with stitching that breaks, or some other mechanism. I haven't tried it, but I suspect such an arrested fall is likely to be painful. But not as painful as hitting the ground.

Lifeline <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HJFTHRU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

Rope Grab <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPMZB7I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

73,
Scott K9MA