[TowerTalk] Come-Along Recommendations

To: "kj6y--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Come-Along Recommendations
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 09:34:50 -0700
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 12:40:12 -0500
From: <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>

<Well since it is almost cold enough to start thinking of doing some
<antenna/tower work, I was hoping to canvass the group for recommendations or
<suggestions on come-along products that have been proven as safe/reliable
<and easy to use. Main uses here are for lifting loaded masts (500lb 240 kg)
<in and out of a rotator or tensioning tram lines.  My old cheap unit fell
<apart on me after only a handful of uses.  Not looking for heavy duty
<commercial units, but something a ham can have available for occasional use
<that is safe and reliable.

<Ed VE4VT

##  I  use an  Ingersoll  Rand.  Model P15D3H
-rated  at  1000 lbs   in  15.7 foot single  line,
and 2000  lbs, when  line doubled  up, 7.5  feet.

-  Comes  with the  extra attached  pulley  to  double  the  line.
4:1  design  factor.
meets  ANSI  B30.21  specs
solid  teeth,  no  laminated  plates.

##  This  is the  best  come along  I have owned,  bar  none.
built  like a tank.   My 1979  vintage brand  X  come  along
was left  outside a few  times, has  some rust, and  used  stacked,
laminated  plates.   1000  lb rated...and also  15  foot  long.

##  The  Ingersoll  Rand  unit  has the  distinct  advantage of
easily  doubling  up the line for the  extra capacity.  It really is
a  thing  of  beauty. 500-600  lb  loaded  mast is a non  issue.
I  recently used  it to  lift a  127  lb dahl  hypersil choke into the
bottom of  a new  hammond  cabinet.

##  Can’t  remember  where  I  bought  it just a few  years  ago.
It  may  well  have  been  cdn  tire.  It  was  local  here in  Victoria  BC
for sure  in any  event.  It  might have  been  one  of the  few  tool
places here  in  town.

##  beware the other  2  x  versions  of  this  unit  are  only  rated  1000
lbs,
and  come  with either a 7.5 foot  cable..or a  5  foot cable.

##  Typ  I  will  use a block  and  tackle to  hoist a yagi to  top of  tower,
then
transfer  to the  come  along..and  hoist up the  mast.  2 x closed  u  links
used
in  that case.   block and tackle  with a  4:1  or  6:1 redux connected to  U
link  #1,
then when at  top of  tower, come along  attached  to   U  link  #2....and  #1
disconnected.

##  Top end  of  come  along  attached to way up  the  mast.

##  also  used to  lift the  loaded mast  out  of a rotor.

later....  Jim  VE7RF