Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 89 ft crankup and G2800 rotor question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 89 ft crankup and G2800 rotor question
From: <marko.n5zo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 15:31:57 -0700
Hello,

I have 2 UST 89 footers and had Yaesu G1000 rotator on one of them for few
months before getting permanent solution (prop pitch) installed.  For all
this rotator installation and swapping work I also blocked each section with
steel and/or 4x4s after extending tower enough to have rotator accessible
without larger sections interfering.  And then climbed up.  Not fun but
doable.  Spend good amount of time making sure all sections are blocked.

Marko N5ZO

I had one of these towers in the 80's with a Hy-Gain HDR-300. This rotator
required frequent service! I had to extend the tower a little and blocked it
with 4x4's before climbing up to remove the rotator. BTW, this was the last
Hy-Gain rotator that I have owned.

John KK9A

Jon Zaimes AA1K wrote:

Has anyone been able to swap out a Yaesu G2800 rotor mounted on flat plate

inside a US Tower 89-foot crankup with the tower fully nested? This would

involve separating the 3 pieces of the rotor while still inside the tower

and wiggling them through the diagonals. Looks like it might work but a

tight fit. I don't have a spare G2800 available to test this.

Normal alternative would be to rent a boom lift and extend the tower so

rotor is in the clear, then remove and replace. From previous experience,

this requires a 45-foot boom lift or longer. Other alternative is to tilt

the tower over, remove beam and extend horizontally, but that is not

feasible in this case due to obstructions.

73/Jon