Re: [TowerTalk] 3-500Z on its Side

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3-500Z on its Side
From: Chucks Laptop <w6ajwchuckfarr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 11:43:24 -0700
Anecdotally, I made the mistake while I was posted in Laos in 1969 - 1971, of turning my SB220 on its side to trouble shoot a problem. I soon discovered that wasn't a good idea. I noticed something wrong very quickly and shut it off, fortunately before damage to the filament transformer windings. Both tubes were damaged by the sagging filament syndrome. It's one thing to be offshore and quite another to be in CONUS. No internet, e-mail, just snail mail, or Amateur Radio. APO Services were there, but took lots of time.

I fired up my spare SB-200 and was back on the air. Several of the US Hams offered to send me the tubes, but in the end I got them from Henry Radio. I didn't know about the caveat of running the 3-500 tubes while on their sides. When the replacement tubes arrived, and were installed, the SB-220 fired up and worked. I got lucky. The bias circuit survived despite my best efforts to destroy it. It was pure luck that I didn't repeat the same mistake. I still didn't know that operating the tubes on their sides was a no-no. As I recall, there was nothing in the Heathkit Manual that mentioned this.  Perhaps Eimac had a bulletin, but being out of the US made some resources unavailable.

That complete station followed me to the Ivory Coast and operated without further problems. Great old amplifier, and remarkably, still is in many stations!

73

Chuck, W6AJW