Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:23:33 -0700
On 10/17/2020 9:38 AM, Kim Elmore wrote:
I have a F12 Sigma 80 antenna, which is an OCF vertical dipole with inductive loading at the feed point and a hairpin match. While it *requires* a common-mode choke at the feed point, it works very well for DX. On stateside contacts, I think its radiation angle is too low and performance for anything within about 400 mi is much worse than for my inverted V with (apex at 40 ft). On DX, though, it does MUCH better than the inverted V.

Verticals shorter than about 3/4 wavelength, by their nature, have a low radiation angle. It has nothing to do with the design of the F12 antenna other than it's height. This is made clear by a study of the link I posted for my study of vertical antennas and horizontal antennas, and by study of the ARRL Antenna Book, the ON4UN book, and the Antennas chapter of the ARRL Handbook.

 I have no radials beneath this antenna.

By it's design, no radials are needed.

I know a friend is buying a Greyline antenna for his QTH. They initially look a bit pricey, but I've not actually seen one, so I don't what the build quality is truly like. Assuming it's build quality is pretty good, and assuming it has a good CM choke,

From what I see on their website, that may not be a good assumption.

there's no reason why it shouldn't
perform relatively well given the constraints. Certainly better than no antenna at all!

This last sentence is the key -- if you're stuck in an HOA, it's better than nothing.

73, Jim K9YC