Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 13:01:45 -0700

Electrically, a half wave vertical dipole is not a lot different than a quarter wave vertical fed against radials or a counterpoise, but it requires a LOT more height to put it up.  I just modeled two different antennas in EZNEC+ as a comparison (both over medium ground):

80m Vertical Dipole   =   133' of #12 wire with bottom end 10' off the ground, oriented vertically and fed at the center

The maximum takeoff lobe is 0.24 dbi at 16 degrees elevation.  The lobe is "squashed" flat, with the pattern being -6.4 dbi at 40 degrees elevation.  The feedpoint impedance is essentially fixed at 90 ohms at 3.58 MHz, and the SWR is less than 1.8:1 from 3.5 MHZ to 3.7 MHz.

80m Ground Plane  =   72' of #12 wire with bottom end 10' off the ground, oriented vertically and fed against two 58' #12 horizontal wire radials also 10' off the ground and oriented opposite each other

The maximum takeoff lobe is 0.42 dbi at 23 degrees elevation.  The lobe is broad vertically, being 0 dbi at 16 degrees elevation but only -1.0 dbi at 40 degrees elevation.  The feedpoint impedance can be tweaked by adjusting the ratio of the length of the vertical portion versus the length of the radials (essentially raising the impedance over that of a classic quarter wave vertical by feeding it slightly "off center"), and I quit messing with it once I got it to 44 ohms at 3.58 MHz with the dimensions noted above.  The SWR was less than 2.1:1 from 3.5 MHz to 3.7 MHz.

In my opinion, there is not enough benefit from a vertical dipole to warrant the extra height requirement, especially given the need to run the feedline horizontally away from the middle of the antenna ... unless of course the elevated radials are a game killer.  Even then, you can get almost the same performance with just one elevated radial if you have room for that.

More importantly, there are ways to simulate an elevated radial without running one 60 feet away from the antenna.  Tom, N6BT, designed and sold several self supporting loaded vertical dipoles that spiraled both ends of the dipole to save space.  They were called the ZR series, but I don't remember if he ever made one for 80m.

N6BT has since described a similar technique that he calls the "VOR" method (Vertical, Open Ring) for wrapping a single "radial" (actually more of a counterpoise) in an open-ended loop around the base of a vertical quarter wave antenna.  It has the advantage that you can lengthen or shorten the end of the looped wire to shift the usable frequency, and by making the counterpoise loop "thicker" (a cage, or even just two parallel wires) you can broaden the bandwidth that way as well.  Tom has supported his VOR loops with posts, but it's also possible to support them with insulated line suspended from the same structure as the vertical portion.  The only requirement is that you have enough space to make a single loop roughly a quarter wavelength long around the base of the antenna. On 80m the loop would be spaced less than 10 feet from the base of the vertical.

Just some thoughts.  The EZNEC models I used are very simple and in my opinion realistic, but of course any actual antenna could deviate from the numbers I quoted above.  And ANY vertical antenna is going to be held hostage to the actual ground conductivity within several wavelengths of the antenna.

73,
Dave   AB7E