[TowerTalk] FW: Vertical dipole other choices?

To: "'Tower Talk'" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Vertical dipole other choices?
From: <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:41:39 -0500
Just want to reiterate that John and Jim both speak the truth.   Years ago I
used to cart an old GAP vertical dipole down to the Texas coastal islands every
year for the IOTA contest.   The difference in low angle performance from that
GAP when mounted on the beach right up by the surf was remarkably noticeable.
 I also used that GAP antenna up in the piney woods a few times and a
horizontal dipole fed with ladder line hung at 100' would make the GAP
performance seem like a dummy load...   my conclusion was that the vertical
dipoles tend to produce something around unity gain unless you can get them
over saltwater, which will wake them up.   Otherwise, you are better off with a
horizontal dipole provided that you can get it up high enough (just say half
wavelength minimum or you are wasting your time) to produce some reasonable
amount of low angle performance.

Just my 2 cents worth...

73
Matt