Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 08:38:54 -0700

On 10/28/2020 4:00 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:

There's no mileage to vary because a receiving test is hardly any
kind of accurate assessment of antenna transmitting efficiency.   Put
up a half wave vertical and put in a ground system of at least 60 half

Let me again emphasize that I compared received signal strength
(not SNR) which is a proxy for transmitted signal strength if
you believe in reciprocity.  It is true that it is not extremely
accurate due to fading, but if the half wave vertical over bare
dirt were as poor as some are saying, it would be apparent.

wave length radials.  Feed it with around 10 watts and conduct a field
intensity measurement from around 3 to 5 miles away.  Do the same
thing, this time with the ground system completely disconnected from

On 20 meters, why would I care about ground wave performance?  Only
sky wave is relevant on that band, and we can't assume that the
two are necessarily correlated.

Rob
K5UJ

73