Re: [TowerTalk] DIY conduit locator?

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIY conduit locator?
From: Jeffrey Okamitsu <w3kl.amateur.radio.station@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 16:29:42 -0400
Is the conduit metal or dielectric?  If it’s dielectric and there’s no
conductor in it, depending on the diameter of the conduit you MAY be able to
find it using a magnetic gradiometer to detect the small change in the earth’s
field that is caused by the void in the earth caused by the conduit and the air
inside it. It works better if the soil is laterite (has high iron content).
The method is used in mineralogy and works reasonably well.  You would have to
build one, but it’s not a daunting task and there are designs that you can find
on the internet.  You’d have to “calibrate” it to set the detection threshold.

The DoD, national security community, and the intel community have gradiometers
and magnetometers (atomic magnetometers) that can detect even very deep voids
(you can find the information in the public domain) - for example, for
detecting a tunnel.

If the conduit is metal is conductive or if there is a wire in it a simple wire
tracer might work.

The DoD has developed some very amazing low false alarm wire detectors used to
find wires that are used in victim initiated or command wire IEDs without using
the usual induction method (which is dangerous).  However, the best working
methods and hardware are not public domain.  I will say it’s easy to detect
“something” with a sensor that doesn’t use induction.  But detecting a real
target versus clutter and false alarms is very hard.

73, Jeff
W3KL