Re: [TowerTalk] Field telephone wire for radials

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Field telephone wire for radials
From: Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 04:55:30 +0000 (UTC)
Gene,
The small-gauge wire will work fine for radials RF-wise, even at legal limit
power, because the current is distributed among so many wires. The only
practical consideration is the mechanical strength of the wires over time.
Livestock walking on them = bad. Hard to say about lawnmowers, kids, pets, dirt
bikes, etc.
Best of luck,
--Kirk, NT0Z  Rochester, MN  32 50-foot radials on the lawn made from 18-gauge
insulated wire.

My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com
and on the Amazon Kindle (soon)

    On Sunday, November 1, 2020, 5:27:37 PM CST, Gene Smar via TowerTalk