Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: [wwdxc] Antenna Permit Query

To: <jcowens1@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: [wwdxc] Antenna Permit Query
From: "Barry Merrill" <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:13:28 -0600
Probably of limited help to your question, but in 2003 I replaced a TH-7
(actually serial #1)
and installed a 72 foot self-supporting tower with a CAL-AV 2 el 40 and
OB16-3 triband.
The base of the tower was 8 feet from the property line.

I received a complaint.  A woman driving by saw the tower and noted it was
close to the
next door house, decided to call planning and ask how close a tower could be
(the damn
busybody!), and the inspector issued the complaint because the antenna
elements crossed
that property line.

BUT WE ALSO OWN THAT HOUSE, we were only crossing our own property line!

I did discuss with planning folks if the two houses could be combined into a
single lot,
but there were severe restrictions, including that the two houses had to be
connected
completely including enclosed connections for people and air/heating, and
the city did
not like changing lot sizes in existing developments.

So we went to the formal planning commission meeting, where we were
surprised by the
only neighbor who can actually see the tower (trees blocked view of others)
who
was there to say he liked how the tower looked and had no problem with it!

I explained how ham radio was important for emergencies and military phone
patches
and SkyWarn; two members of the commission commented they had used ham radio
from
Viet Nam, and one was aware of tornado spotters.
I also pointed out that the tower was "temporary" in that it was set in
place
by a crane (60 ton 160 foot boom), held in place by big bolts, and it could
just
as easily be removed.

All members initially voted in favor of quashing the complaint.

But then, the City of Dallas lawyer reported that the planning commission
could NOT
rule on property line issues, which could ONLY be resolved in State Court,
and she
directed the commission to support the complaint.

After the meeting I spoke with the attorney and asked her if she was
familiar
with PRB-1, and she responded that she was well aware of it, and that she
was reasonably certain that if I escalated to a State Court, with PRB-1,
I would win, "hands down" she said, and said that as a result of that
expectation, the City of Dallas would not pursue compliance if I let the
matter drop!

It's still in the same place (photo at www.mxg.com, lower left).

73

Barry, W5GN