[TowerTalk] Alfa Spid RAK in HDBX-48 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alfa Spid RAK in HDBX-48 Tower
From: Dave - W3NP <w3np@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 20:06:56 -0500
Good evening all,

My main question is this: Will the Alfa Spid RAK rotator fit in the top section (section #3) of my Rohn HDBX-48 tower?  Does the optional mounting plate with short pipe stub have holes drilled to match the CDE pattern?  Has anyone done this?

I started this project back in August when I decided to replace my ailing KT-34A with an antenna without traps, etc. I purchased an Optibeam 10-3w and a T2x rotator. Apparently, I didn't do my research very well and the Tailtwister, while being able to mount in the tower did not have enough clearance to be able to rotate without modification of the top section which I did not want to do. I ended up putting a new Ham IV from Hy-gain - MFJ...(that's another story) on the new RP3 rotator plate, shimmed the 2" mast with 4 pieces of .031 steel shim stock to match up with the TB-3 thrust bearing on the top plate and then trammed the OB up on to the mast.

In my learning process, I have found that the Ham IV doesn't seem to have the necessary torque to start the antenna rotating (moment/mass) without some initial start-up protest (starts, slows down, and then begins turning normally) - I had my XYL rotate the antenna while I was up on the tower right at the rotor and I didn't like the sound of it. Once rotating, it is fine. So far it has worked ok for about 2 weeks now but I don't like the 6 degrees of play and the drama (element wagging, etc) from the 10 elements when the rotator stops turning (before brake application).

I think my best route at this point is to replace the H4 with the RAK rotor along with a Green Heron controller to take advantage of the slow ramp up and down of power which also should take some of the rotational stress off of the tower....I am aware of the manufactures recommendation on boom and element length for the HDBX-48.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have climbed the tower 14 times now since I started this project and aside from sore feet from the angle braces, it is getting harder for this 73 year old to do tower work.

73, Dave - W3NP