Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor recommendation

To: Tower Talk <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor recommendation
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 16:12:27 -0500
I use several TT & HAM-IV rotors and have done so for over 40 years. I like them a lot except for the &^%^&* pot contacts that go flaky after 5-6 years. I also started using a brand new G-800DXA rotor for some microwave work on a small tower.

What drives me nuts is how an otherwise fine rotor like the Yaesu does not provide for fine tuning the needle alignment after the antenna and rotor and tower are all back up in the air. My supplied manual says ABSOLUTELY ZERO about the subject. And contrary to what many think you cannot simply pull off the dial and "stick it on the correct bearing" and live happily ever after. You will not be able to rotate completely around the far side if you do so.

I may be missing something obvious but if anyone does know a way of calibrating the Yaesu this please share it with me (us). I will be the 1st to admit I may have missed something.

With the HAM series rotors calibration, once the installation has been completed, it has never been an issue for me.

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....