Re: [TowerTalk] If you can't erect a tall tower ...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] If you can't erect a tall tower ...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 13:41:06 -0800
On 12/15/2020 12:24 PM, Dan Maguire wrote:
  how about a short tower on a tall hill?

YES! Even short hills make pretty good towers, especially for horizontally polarized antennas. And N6BT has reported disciplined experimental work showing that radiation/reception of verticals benefits strongly from being at the edge of a dropoff in the direction of the dropoff. I heard him present this work at Pacificon several years ago, and for this NCJ piece, K6OIK developed a model in H.O.B.B.I.E.S that predicted the effect. H.O.B.B.I.E.S. is modeling software that can build far more complex models than NEC, including surrounding objects and terrain.

https://ncjweb.com/features/mayjun19feat.pdf

73, Jim K9YC