Re: [TowerTalk] thrust Bearing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust Bearing
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:50:38 -0800
HOORAY Wilson!++ "Thrust bearing", the most misused word in hamradio after "balun". Radial, thrust, and angular are the correct bearing terms.

In a related post, a TB3 is noted as a radial bearing. I admit its been a long while since I tossed a trashed TB3, but remember it as an angular design. Maybe, maybe not.

Here is the DXeng "advanced thrust bearing" cross section. Click to last cross section picture.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-tb-300

It clearly shows it is an angular design, thus capable of radial and thrust loads, IF it has some loading pushing the races together. The contact angle of the balls to race seems about 45 deg, a design choice which makes the thrust and radial load capacities about equal. Also note the snap ring to prevent it coming apart, maybe even preventing overturning of an unconstrained mast. Then a good WX seal.

IMO, if you must have such a bearing for some reason the DXeng is the best design of the lot. For my towers, even with a 500# thrust load, a radial bearing is what I use, only at the tower top.

Most deep groove ball bearing specs state maximum thrust and radial loads, the thrust a small fraction of the radial.

HNY & 73,

Grant KZ1W