Re: [TowerTalk] Ham-IV rotator brake noise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham-IV rotator brake noise
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:29:15 -0800
On 1/19/21 4:16 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
Hiya Ralph ol buddy!

Replying , but my initial answer is only a semi-serious one. (followed by
one MAYBE (untested) suggestion)

None of your neighbours have noticed as nobody goes outside anymore ! !

Exactly  - if you're Netflixing or killing demons on your PS/4 (with headphones on), you're not going to hear the random clanking in the night.

Maybe they never knew what that clunk was? Or--Never Heard it and associated
it with you/your tower?

This too - for most people (except real estate agents<grin>) the antenna fades into the background and they don't know if it even moves from day to day.

I actually thought of this *exact* question many years ago when I was living
on a smaller lot with closer neighbours and nobody mentioned it to me
either.  I kinda wondered at the time if I could wrap the rotor or top
section of tower with some pink foil backed insulation or something to
deaden the sound in case anyone ever complained.

The mechanical noise is coupled to the chassis by the physical connection, and is "radiated" by the whole tower.

You'd need suitable vibration isolation (bushings, vibration isolators) between rotator and tower.

And then, if that wasn't enough, you could try to acoustically isolate it (a flexible heavy layer hanging between noise source and victim works very well.. lead sheet, plastic film loaded with iron ore (which is very dense) something like that).  Maybe something like a tube of loaded plastic film.