Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline splices and W0AIH

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline splices and W0AIH
From: "ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:57:20 -0400 (AST)
No doubt he got it confused with the splices at VE1ZZ(sk).  Jack's methods were
widely known and published by several.

In my own case, Jack himself showed me first hand the splices.  He even built
antennas from hardline.  IIRC, he had an a 15m beam where the elements were made
of wood supports and hardline elements.  Jack had all kinds of crazy antennas on
his property there at HEad of Jeddore, NS.  I really enjoyed my visit there some
15-20?
or whatever years ago.   A rope yagi aimed @ EU on 6m netted him a couple of VE
firsts on that band.

He got out great on most bands.  To look at his antennas, or even QTH would
leave you wondering how he did that.

His 160m 4 square was built of of tractor trailer wheels for the bases, old TV
antenna tower and maybe a bit of aluminum and wire.  He told me he raised these
monstrosities HIMSELF (he was a little fella, physically) with his old farm
tractor and a bunch of pullies and ropes strung all through the woods.

I still don't know how he got out so well.  His antennas were way up a looooong
narrow (triangular?) piece of land not really close to salt water (ie: hundreds
of feet away if not 1000' away or more)

I sure wish I had a camera with me and taken pix of all the things I
saw....splices under pop bottles included.

We sure miss guys like W0AIH and VE1ZZ.......at least I do. RIP fellas.

Mike VE9AA