Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy line Anchor Positions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy line Anchor Positions
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:14:59 -0600
Keep in mind that, unless the tower is very stiff, the horizontal component of the tension in all the guy wires will be equal. That means that if the anchor points are not equidistant from the tower, the total tension in the guy wires will not be equal. The greatest tension with be in the guy wire anchored closest to the tower. That suggests that the tension in that guy wire should be the usual 10 percent or so of breaking strength, and let the others fall where they may, as long as the tower is plumb.

This is all from Statics 101 many years ago and simple trigonometry. The real tower experts on this list may disagree, and I'd defer to them.

73,
Scott K9MA