Re: [TowerTalk] Terminating Phillystran to EHS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Terminating Phillystran to EHS
From: kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 20:31:15 +0000 (UTC)
Bill,I have a good supply of insulators available.  Let me know if interested.
Skip, KJ6Ywww.kj6y.com818-522-5421  In a message dated 2/5/2021 11:59:22 AM
Pacific Standard Time, towertalk@contesting.com writes:
Still in the planning stages for the new station.In the past terminating the
Phillystran from the tower to the EHS stub down at ground level was quite easy.
 The old style potting ends terminated into a sort of clevis and all one had to
do was put a thimble i inside the PLP EHS grip end to run the EHS down to the
ground.The new style isn't quite as easy.  I've used 502 insulators at the
termination point when I got a bunch at $1 each, which really worked well.
I've heard some guys  simply hook two thimbles together with the PLP grips
inside for the connection.  It seems this method would eventually fail due to
the wearing away from vibration on the galvanizing and rust would start
corroding the unprotected stell thimbles.Others have suggested using a clevis
at the point, fastening the Philly to the curved end and the EHS to the
uncurved side.  This to me seems like a better solution but the 136 Rohn tower
will be using 1/4 inch EHS so the cost of the clevises runs some bucks when the
suggested size needed is 5/8 inch.   By the way the tower will be 1/2 mile from
the ocean so corrosion could be an issue.The ideal solution would be to find 12
502 insulators at a good price.One other thing...I picked up some used new
style guy bracket assemblies but they didn't have the elongated "donuts" that
attaches to the bracket assembly.  I have the same issue with the spacer
washers...need some too.  Any thought on the connecting issue?  Any of the
"donuts" or spacers out there?Bill K4XS/V31XX