Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Pier Pin install

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Pier Pin install
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:41:40 -0500
>"I am using Rohn products and yheir guidance from the their book and my
>question is the correct way to install the 3/4" x 12 pin into the concrete
>base. Do I place the pin into the fresh concrete after it is poured and of
>course before the concrete cures supporting the pin so it is plumb and
>vertical above the base of the concrete by approximately 3-4" ?"

Yes.  In a past life, I installed 300 ft. of Rohn 55 tower in northern
Illinois.  The concrete base and rebar cage was to Rohn spec.  As the concrete
cured, I inserted the pin into the concrete.  It only needs to rise up enough
to keep the base from shifting.  And, there's enough play that the pin doesn’t
need to be exactly perpendicular to the base.  Of course, it should be set and
monitored with a level but it's not a big deal if off plumb a bit.

It may seem counterintuitive, but once the tower is stacked and tensioning
begins, there's little lateral pressure on the base pin.

Paul, W9AC