Re: [TowerTalk] NEC 5.0 ???

To: Dan Maguire <danac6la@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NEC 5.0 ???
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:15:57 -0800

"Jerry Burke, the primary author of the antenna-modeling software NEC,
died on February 14. He had been suffering from cancer. NEC (numerical
electromagnetics code) evolved out of a program called BRACT, which
Burke and others developed in 1967. The most common public version is
NEC-2. -- Thanks to Jim Breakall, WA3FET"

I didn't realize that the roots of NEC went back this far.
Jerry produced amazing results especially considering what he
had to work with in 1967 (IBM 360, keypunch, line printer, etc).
Probably written in the wonderful language of Fortran.
Those were the days.

I talked with him on the phone a number of times and he was
very approachable and was willing to answer technical
questions even for ham radio users.  I purchased NEC4
decades ago when I worked for HP.  More recently, he
let me transfer the license to myself as the owner.

A tip of the hat goes to W7EL and AC6LA for carrying the torch
forward and leveraging the foundation Jerry laid.

Thank you.

73
Rick N6RK