Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Loading Coils

To: W7TMT - Patrick <W7TMT@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Loading Coils
From: Frank VO1HP <invl160@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:30:13 -0230
Patrick

Wow thanks a lot for the great info.  In particular the 1997 QST article.
Just what I needed for some guidance in how to do this!   I have printed
the hQST Article and also saved it on the iPad.   I’ll review the AD5X
aricles as well.  I recall visiting his sitepreviously

Many thanks for the help and guidance

73 Frank VO1HP

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 22:03 W7TMT - Patrick <W7TMT@outlook.com> wrote:

> I've no source for premade but several links that might help you roll your
> own.
>
> I used AD5X's technique to make loading coils for a shortened 40/15M
> dipole I use on my sailboat. The elements are supported on two Jackite
> telescoping fiberglass poles joined end-to-end in the middle. While the
> poles would easily support a full sized 40M antenna I don't have the room
> due to other vessel masts on either side along the dock. Happy to send you
> a picture of a coils I made if you want. Note that I used his method of
> spacing the windings but didn't need the support structure he describes for
> his vertical application.
>
> AD5X's article is here: http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/CoilRevB.pdf
>
> There is another one that may be of interest here:
> "Homebrew Your Own Inductors," by Robert H. Johns, W3JIP, QST, Aug 1997, p
> 35
>
> I used W8WWV's method for winding a single large coil for my 80' high 160M
> vertical over saltwater.  I used 1/8" refrigeration tubing for that one.
> His article is here:
> http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur%20Radio/Experimentation/HiQCoil.htm
>
> K7MEM has some nice on-line calculators that might be helpful here:
> http://www.k7mem.com/Site_Map.html#HF%20Wire
>
> Patrick, W7TMT

Sent from Gmail Mobile