Re: [TowerTalk] RG402 for Choke/Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG402 for Choke/Balun
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:28:01 -0700
On 3/18/2021 5:29 AM, Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H wrote:
I normally use RG400 for chokes on FT240 toroids.
Recently I've tryed RG402 semi-rigid coax cable, the "blue one".

I carefully chose RG400 for my choke designs (they are common mode CHOKES, not "baluns"), with considerable input from other engineers, because the center conductor is silver on stranded copper, rather than silver on copper on solid steel. This is critical because the winding is less than the specified minimum bending radius; the possible issue is migration of the solid steel center conductor, reducing the power handling of the choke.

73, Jim K9YC