Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Ground Rod Plating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Ground Rod Plating
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 13:23:00 -0700
On 4/9/21 1:06 PM, Dennis W0JX via TowerTalk wrote:
I have a similar question. I have pulled copper 1/2" and 3/4" water pipe out of
the ground after several years and have found that the surface of the pipe is a dark
brown color, most likely oxidized copper. I have measured the surface resistance and note
that it can be high.
Does that mean that after a certain number of years, the effectiveness of my
beverage and other antenna ground rods decreases significantly? Does that mean
they should be replaced on a periodic basis?
I've tried chemical removal of this oxidized coating but the most effective way
is scouring with abrasive pads and sanding with sand paper.
73 Dennis W0JX
________

It might have higher DC resistance, but it's a thin layer, and at RF, it might just be a big capacitor. What's the C of a 8 ft long, 1/2" diameter cylinder with a few mils of oxide dielectric?

For lightning, I wouldn't worry - the voltage will puncture the oxide with no problem.