Re: [TowerTalk] First QSO 55th Anniversary

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] First QSO 55th Anniversary
From: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:10:49 -0400
Richard:

     Thanks for the note.  I never had an opportunity to use pencil lead or
Ajax cleanser on a crystal.  It's something I'd like to try before my last
sunspot cycle.  Just to say I did.

     I'm amazed that any of my antennas were able to get me contacts.  They all
(80, 40 and 20M dipoles) were fed from the same coax at about 20 feet in the
air.  (Recall that, to hold up one end of my antennas,  I used 2 pieces of EMT
that were each 10 feet long.)  A true cloud warmer on 80.

     I now know that I was fortunate because my receivers (I later bought a
Knight-Kit R-100A) both had BFOs so hearing Morse was not a problem.  And I
just now remembered that I used a separate RX antenna, not because I had a
pre-amp in line but because I couldn't afford the Dowkey T/R relay that screwed
on the TX's SO-239 connector.  I just transmitted and the nearby RX antenna
gladly sent the RF straight into my RX front end.  If'n the RX had been a
modern rig I'm sure I would have smoked it.

     Thanks again and stay safe.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F