Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to Glenn Martin & the Hazer?

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to Glenn Martin & the Hazer?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:44:45 -0700

On 4/16/2021 12:27 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I am curious what tiltplate has to do with Hazer? I thought tiltplate was for a crank-up tower which is a very different concept.

John KK9A

A tiltplate will work perfectly on e.g. a Rohn 25/45 tower erected
in one piece utilizing a falling derrick. It will also work on a Heights tower having the hinge and threaded rod "foldover"
configuration.  However, the typical Heights tower can't handle
much weight at the top (rotor/mast/antenna/tiltplate) in the
foldover configuration.  On Field Day, I have used a lightweight
40 foot fixed tower with a HG 204BA on a tiltplate.  The tower was
erected using a falling derrick.  Even my 50 foot GME tower could
be adapted to use a tiltplate instead of a Hazer.

73
Rick N6RK