Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 mast clamp redux

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 mast clamp redux
From: Ken K6MR <k6mr@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:45:35 +0000
Ah yes.  Water is the one thing that will kill a PP.  I haven't checked lately,
but all the internal bearings were still available as of about 15 years ago.
The only one I could never find is the thrust bearing on the bevel gear.

The guy I was building/installing systems for (W6HX) had a cover made special
for each tower.  It would exactly fit the inside space of the tower and have an
overlapping rain hat on it that fit the mast tightly.  A little tape and goop
and never saw one get wet.  After all these things were meant to be mounted
horizontally and spin externally at a pretty good rate.  That's also the reason
you should never fill a PP with oil.  The seals were not made to keep oil from
moving on the longitudinal axis.  If you do you are guaranteed to get oil in
the motor.

Ken K6MR