[TowerTalk] Tilting a DX-70

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilting a DX-70
From: al.n6ta@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 21:44:43 -0700
To close out this topic, I add the following:
Tashjian does not want anything in the tower, even a mast, while the tower
is being raised with their TA-86L raising fixture.  The tower is very heavy
and raising from the ground is worst case for the fixture.  Will it hold a
mast if fully inserted? Perhaps but they do not recommend it.  They ran the
modeling software and said it will go about 6 degrees past horizontal before
metal collides btw the parts involved with the raising fixture and its
cables and pulleys.
Once the tower is vertical, the fixture is reconfigured to allow the mast to
pivot about 8.5' up near its center of gravity.  This makes it much easier
to crank over to horizontal and then back up with the antenna, mast and
rotator attached.  If you have a lot of money, they offer a motorized
raising winch that is NOT the motorized winch to raise the vertical extend
tower to the operating height.
An astute ham reminded me that if the tower can be mounted on a slope, the
tilted tower end pointing uphill will get the tower top closer to ground,
addressing my concerns.  I have just that situation and it will make things
easier.  I could also build a work platform and put it below the area at
which I want to work.

FWIT, I ordered a DX-70 today, July 8, 2021, and was quoted 12 weeks plus
any delay due to staff vacations in August.  We will see how it ends up!
73,
Al - N6TA