Re: [TowerTalk] Homage to Ohmage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homage to Ohmage
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:33:08 -0700
That's 4% of the value. Could it be measurement error?

I have suspected for quite some time that one of the items is off by 3%. The baseline of 003 rather than 000 when shorted is a clue, so that's taken into consideration. If everything averaged one way, or the other, consistently, I'd suspect the equipment, which is a heap of stuff nobody wanted, some over a century old (most of what's used regularly is 60-100 years, with the occasional newer 30-40 year old item tossed into the mix), with far too much math, measurements, conversions, and correction factors taken into consideration- for everything. But, as all errors were to the same extent, in two distinct ranges, between two drastically differing qualities, and application of items, it suggests the items under test were OK, as well as the equipment.

Even if slightly off from something that's NBS traceable, test setup, and conditions were consistent, with repeatable results, within a few minutes of each other (I checked each item three to four times), so I'll call that "good".

On one hand, I'm thinking of upgrading, on the other, I'm not done beating this stuff to death, even if some of it should have been chucked nearly ninety years ago. Speaking of which, I was discussing with the XYL, over dinner, how to whip out a decent Lecher Line with household junk, and measure frequency to ~1kHz, or wavelength to within ~4mm at UHF. She's an EE, and likes the little hands-on projects.

Kurt