Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:16:17 -0700
That is a reasonable point, Stan. That is why I was suggesting that it would be instructive to use logs where output power wasn't varied as experimental controls. You could slice a "control" log up in multiple ways to see how much difference the length of the slicing interval would make. It could be that slicing into 10 minute slots instead 1 minutes slots still produces nearly equal score outcomes when comparing odd slot and even slots scores on a control log where power was held constant.

Your comments speak to another aspect of the 1dB measurement which is context. As you point out, being loud during a feeding frenzy of Euros chasing a Caribbean station during a strong opening can actually be a disadvantage. OTOH, when the band is barely open to JA/BY/BU/VR2/JT on 160 or 80 meters, the 1dB could be the difference between getting over the noise floor of a double mult and not. So at the end of the day, if you ran the proposed experiment, you might find that 1dB does make a certain percentage difference in score. The problem is that particular measured difference is going to represent the average advantage over the particular set of conditions presented by that particular contest with the chosen length of the time slice interval. Under a different set of particular conditions presented by a different contest, geographical location, operator, solar conditions and/or slicing interval, the measured advantage of 1dB could vary considerably.

BTW, I agree that it makes intuitive sense that every dB helps, otherwise low power scores would not be on average significantly lower than high power scores. However, how one extrapolates from the clear advantage of an ~10dB increase to the advantage of a 1dB increase seems a little unclear to me. If you assume that every 1dB increase in power yields the same amount of score improvement no matter where you are on continuum from attic dipole to multi-tower superstation, then the benefit of 1dB should be equal to:

    Benefit_1dB = Benefit_10dB^(1/10).

So if by comparing high power and low power scores, the average score benefit of the 10dB advantage is found to be 40%, then the average benefit of 1dB could be assumed to be 1.4^(1/10) = 1.03457 (i.e. 3.457%). Again, however, that calculation has the assumption baked into it that all 1dB power increases yield the same score benefit no matter what the size of your station.

Anyway, I've beat this deceased beast enough already, so I'll shut up.

73, Mike W4EF...