Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 10:47:42 -0700
Since Phillystran has been unobtainable or costly,
I've been recommending Mastrant-M to my tower clients.
I've had Mastrant-M at my station for 5 years now and
it's held up very well with little or no creep.

Phillystran uses Kevlar while Mastrant-M uses Dyneema.
Dyneema is stronger than Kevlar, it's a proven product
that's widely adopted in harsh marine environments.
Dyneema is relatively immune to UV so if you get a
nick in the outer jacket it's not an immediate cause
for concern. Kevlar loses strength when exposed to UV.

I also prefer the Mastrant stainless duplex clip
terminations over the galvanized Phillystran big grips.
I've seen some big grips that didn't age well due
to weathering.

To be clear, I'm not against Phillystran, its a
proven product with a long track record.  However, I
believe Mastrant-M is an equal or somewhat better
alternative.

73 Jim K6OK

Jim W5QM wrote>> Has Phillystran fallen from favor?