Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage at Wire’s End

To: towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage at Wire’s End
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:26:05 -0700
On 10/4/22 10:44 AM, Edward McCann wrote:

You might look at this approach.
While a bit theoretical, the concept seems sound.

 https://www.witpress.com/Secure/elibrary/papers/BE99/BE99016FU.pd <https://www.witpress.com/Secure/elibrary/papers/BE99/BE99016FU.pdf>

This is essentially what NEC is doing - it's a development of an expression suitable for numerical evaluation (i.e. solving a system of linear equations) - for the special case of an ideal thin wire over a dielectric ground.  And, you can see by the references to works by Miller, Poggio, Burke, RWP King, and so forth that he's extending the analyses that underlie NEC.  There are thousands of papers like this providing partial solutions for a variety of "useful" configurations - J.R. Wait is famous for all of his "wire on a dielectric boundary" papers. There's a whole raft of papers providing approximations, especially for parallel wires (those form the basis for many of the early Yagi-Uda design methods)

Back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, we didn't have fast computers, so numerical methods that could solve a case of interest on a hand calculator or a slow computer were of much interest.

Pocklington's Integro-differential Equation (see ref 13)  from the late 1800s forms the basis for all of this stuff.

Orfanidis's on-line electromagnetics/antennas text book is a great place to look for the formal derivations and the numerical approximations used to solve it.

https://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch24.pdf

(even nicer, he has a whole library of matlab codes to run the calculations which you can download.  I use them all the time, translated to python, these days)

This is a nice lecture on this stuff and how it develops into what we do with NEC.  So if you were wondering about Green's function, and such, this is not a bad start

https://empossible.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Lecture-9c-Method-of-Moments-for-Thin-Wire-Antennas.pdf

What's important to remember is that Pocklington provides a generalized integral equation for the currents along a wire (and by extension, the voltages, Maxwell, and all).  It's up to you to solve it, and "method of moments" is one way to do that.

I suspect that to answer the question, semi empirically - we could set up a NEC model, run it for a variety of cases, with the right internal "instrumentation" (NT cards or whatever) and then make some graphs to show "approximate voltage at the end" with some error bars.

It's unclear how useful this would be.  For most folks, that the voltage is "high" is sufficient.  For detailed cases, one tends to either model the specific geometry, or do tests.  I was involved in making measurements on high power tesla coils (everyone wants to know "how many hundred kV is it?) about 25 years ago.  More recently, in my work, we aren't so interested about the exact voltage, but that it does or doesn't break down.

For Mars missions, and for airborne experiments at high altitude, JPL has a big vacuum chamber with a large clear "bell jar" in a anechoic chamber where we can run high power into an antenna under test in an atmosphere of Mars gas or just low pressure air and see if we get corona or breakdown.  The DS-2 probes to Mars had a "1/4 wave spike" antenna for their UHF transmitter, and in the original design, it would break down with the few watts being fed to it (Mars is sort of the ideal atmosphere for HV breakdown - low pressure and CO2 and Argon)

https://mesa.jpl.nasa.gov/facilities/high-power-test-facility

(I helped set up the smaller test chamber, when I worked in that section at JPL)