Re: [TowerTalk] Old coax questions.... OK? or NOT OK?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old coax questions.... OK? or NOT OK?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 12:43:13 -0700
On 10/9/2022 8:26 AM, John Simmons wrote:
Weatherproofing coax connections is a science and there are lots of opinions.

I view it as a learned art, based on lots of EXPERIENCE, including seeing what coax looks like years later.

However, I've seen professionally weatherproofed connections with water ingress, including water actually pouring out of the shack end of the cable!

Water can enter coax at some point of physical damage to the outer jacket, as well as at connectors. And it can be, as it was for one of my runs, a defect in the physical construction of what it was connected to.

73, Jim K9YC