Re: [TowerTalk] Anchoring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchoring
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 12:43:15 -0800
I have never seen one however a bust open type anchor is mentioned on W8JI's
site: https://www.w8ji.com/screw_in_guy_anchors.htm

I've seen them, played with one. The power companies here use their hydraulic auger to turn the thimble eye, and expand these. They drill the hole, then press the thimble eye with this on the end into the bottom, then rotate the rod to expand the anchor, using an "impact" setting on the hydraulic motor. It sounds like a jackhammer as it rotates. I watched them install one on the edge of my land one day.

I played with one, greased it up so the petals would slip, couldn't turn it enough, even with levers, sledge hammers, even a truck couldn't open it up.

I THINK, the threaded portion is on the inside/bottom, so wouldn't work reversed, as a cup in the hole, without the risk of the "nut" popping loose from the inside and the anchor slipping out.

Kurt