Re: [TowerTalk] New York state wind survival requirements for

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New York state wind survival requirements for
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 13:14:41 -0800
Ed N1UR wrote:

>> I can't speak to NY State as I have not done a
>> tower there.  But typically, these guys are referring
>> to Commercial tower requirements and not "accessory
>> structures" not used for commercial use - ham towers
>> and antennas.

Not my experience on the West Coast, unfortunately.

What has happened in most jurisdictions is the
Planning/Building people have, over the last 20 years,
seen a lot of permit applications for cell towers and
not very many ham towers.  So they've developed
procedures and policies that apply to all radio towers,
commercial or not.

For some of my ham clients I've had to develop full
permit packages as if it were a cell tower, with
visual simulations, RF exposure calcs, neighbor
notifications, public hearing, the whole nine yards.

But you're right, the first step is always to ask
the city/county what their specific requirements are.
They might be ham-friendly and accomodating. Don't
know until you ask.

Jim Varney, P.E. (Calif.), K6OK