Re: [TowerTalk] Less Than Optium Guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Less Than Optium Guys
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 09:18:37 -0800
A thought experiment is to consider what happens as the guys are separated by even more than 120 degrees. As 180 degrees is approached the tension needed in each guy to resist wind splitting the angle goes to infinity. I think we would all agree only two guys opposing won't resist the wind between them and the tower falls down. Conversely, a pair of guys at the same angle each only need one half the tension. So at some angle between them the tension in each exceeds all the wind on one guy.

So then how to do the calculation. To simplify the compound angle force vector calculations, I considered the tension to oppose a 1000# force on the antenna, if the guys were at 90 degrees and horizontal with the antenna. Then calculated the increased tension needed if the angle to the tower was 45 degrees.

So from the thought experiment, we know the tensions at 120 degrees are higher than at 90 degrees. Maybe somebody would calculate the exact angle when it exceeds the wind directly on one guy.

I mentioned total downforce as an important tower design limit which is a result of guy tension, preload, wind load, guy weight, and tower, rotator, and antenna weight. The PE calcs for my R65 tower show this loading component is the limiting variable. There are other ways for towers to fail than exceeding the guy strength. K7NV's (SK) FEA analysis of guyed towers is very informative.
http://k7nv.com/notebook/topics/feastudy.html

When another TT post a while ago said that wind splitting is worse did I question my belief that the tension is highest when wind is directly on one and do the calcs, which showed that post was correct.

Grant KZ1W