[TowerTalk] Homebrew Mast Position Indicator

To: Towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Mast Position Indicator
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 00:55:31 -0700

I built a replacement position indicator for my ProSisTel PST-71D rotator after the 10-turn potentiometer failed and I was to lazy to bring the rotator down from the tower to replace it.  The solution I came up with isn't particularly elegant, but the idea might be useful to somebody either as a backup or for some other similar purpose.  The components for this thing are very inexpensive ... literally less than $20 for the electronics.

Even the software is simple ... this is literally the very first software I have ever written for an Arduino and I have no prior C or C++ experience.

I built everything with through hole components on a DIY single sided PC board, which is one of the reasons the size is pretty large.  If somebody was trying to minimize the size by using surface mount components on a double-sided board in an optimized case they could do MUCH better than I did.  Even better, adding an ATTiny at the tower would allow the use of the very inexpensive 2.4 GHz NRF24L01 transmitter/receiver pairs to eliminate all of the wires between the tower and the shack except for the V+ and ground wires ... and a small solar panel and battery would avoid even that.

https://youtu.be/y9R5XKCMZuU

I'm sure that there are better ways to do any of this, but I had my reasons for doing it this way (one being that I didn't want a mechanical linkage to the mast) and at least it does what I wanted.

73,
Dave   AB7E