Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Beverage on Sloping Ground

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>, maflukey@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Beverage on Sloping Ground
From: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 08:31:04 -0500
Thanks for the reply Matt. I have had a few Beverages and a SAL 30. I found
that 300’ was too short to be of much use, but occasionally came in handy.
At one point I had 4 Bevs with only the EU being 600’ and the others being
about 300’. I had fairly good results into EU and better than the transmit
vertical in the other directions. The land north of me is now being
developed, so I lost my EU Bev and ended up taking down the others when I
got a SAL 30.
  Now I am going to move back to the country on 7 1/2 ac. (The “city” has
moved in all around me here.) I hope to have a receive array of short
verticals of some type. (Looking at the 4square from DXE), plus the SAL 30
and some 2 wire reversible Beverages. I enjoy 160, 80 and 40 all, so the 4
square would have to be a compromise dimension for the side length. I have
determined from the responses that the Beverages would almost surely work
no matter what the contour of the Earth is. I am hoping that the variety of
receive antennas will fill in the “voids” for each other. After trying
everything out for awhile, I may find the Beverages to not be worth the
trouble, but my experience with receive antennas is that they “seem like
they are not working until they do.” lol
When I first put up the 600’ EU Beverage it didn’t seem to work very well
until the fourth night when it worked very well. The SAL 30 always seems to
work well, but I have not had any other antenna to compare it to other than
a 1/4 wave vertical transmit antenna which is close to useless on receive.
The 4sq and SAL 30 will be about 500’ apart, so I can try diversity
reception.

Chuck W5PR